Salt Lake Doberman Pinscher Club, Inc.
Code of Ethics
This code is established in accordance with the objectives of the Salt Lake Doberman Pinscher Club, Inc. as set forth in Article 1, Section 2 of the Club constitution. Violators of the Code of Ethics will be subject to prompt action under SLDPC or DPCA grievance and charge procedures.
- Abide by the Constitution and By Laws of the Salt Lake Doberman Pinscher Club, the Doberman Pinscher Club of America and the American Kennel Club.
- Maintain the best possible standards of canine health, cleanliness, care and support.
- Will not breed for profit as a motive, or for commercial reasons. Will not sell to any commercial distributor. Nor will any stud dog be bred to any bitch whose owner or co-owner is directly or indirectly involved with any puppy broker, puppy mill, pet shop, litter lot sales or any other commercial enterprise whose business is involved in like activities. All bitches and dogs will be bred only with the intention of that particular breeding improving the breed. No Dobermans will be sold to any commercial facilities, businesses, kennels, puppy brokers, pet shops, guard dog businesses or agents thereof.
- Will not breed any bitch or dog without first meeting the following criteria. Dog shall have a breed championship or a working title and one of the following:
a) TT (Temperament Test Certificate)
b) CGC (Canine Good Citizen Certificate)
c) WAC (Working Aptitude Evaluation Certificate)
- All dogs offered at stud and all bitches accepted for stud service must be a least 2 years of age, in excellent health and free from any communicable diseases. They must be of an allowed color and free from any disqualifying genetic fault.
- No bitch shall be bred to produce more than one litter per year, nor prior to the age of 2 years of age, and shall be in excellent health and free from any communicable diseases. They must be of an allowed color and free from any disqualifying genetic fault.
- Must keep accurate breeding records, registration papers, pedigrees, and conduct only ethical trade practices.
- All breeders will support the notion that they are ultimately responsible for every puppy they produce, whether they are a bitch owner or a stud dog owner. Breeders must be willing to keep puppies as long as may be necessary to find suitable owners and to take puppies back from unsatisfied or unsuitable owners. If a breeder's puppy (at any age) is found in any type of shelter or other unsuitable arrangement, that breeder will bear all expense of claiming and properly caring for said dog.
- Require members to test all dogs and bitches for hip displasia (OFA or PENN HIP), thyroid dysfunction and VWD. Strongly encourage members to test for eye problems (CERF), heart dysfunction (cardiomyopathy), and CVI (aka: wobblers) before breeding them. Any other testing will be encouraged. Breeders must be willing to provide puppy buyers with certified copies of test results.
- Substandard or inferior quality animals should be sold with written agreement to have the animal spayed/neutered and papers withheld pending sterilization, on a limited registration, or in severe cases, euthanized.
- Furnish records to puppy buyers of all shots, wormings, pedigree, health test information and registration or transfer documents, unless written agreement is made at the time of sale that papers be withheld.
- Members shall conduct themselves at all times in such manner as to reflect credit on the Salt Lake Doberman Pinscher Club and particularly the Doberman Pinscher. Members are expected to practice good sportsmanship and to be helpful and courteous to all other members, exhibitors, and spectators at any and all competitions and events.